Thursday, February 25, 2016

SF5 and sharing things on PS4

I purchased Street Fighter V last week. It is a flawed game. It launched with few single player features and has serious server side issues. Though it is gradually improving, the matchmaking is poor and slow and lobbies often don't work. There is no penalty for ragequitting so those happen much too frequently. I have some ideas about the ragequitting situation, which I'll expound on in a later post I think.

Despite this I enjoy the game a lot. The basic gameplay is more fun to me than a Capcom fighting game has ever been[1], and it has many nice features geared toward the competitive player I have not seen before. For example, the netcode is generally good, definitely a first for a Capcom game. My old PS3 pad just works with no fuss. You can watch replays of the last 100 fights for any player you can find, so you can look up replays of your rivals or of the highest ranked player of your character.

The lack of single player features is definitely worrying and it might make for poor sales, especially since Capcom has been so vocal about focusing on the more casual players leading up to launch. But personally I feel nothing but gratitude that I can already play and practice on this competitive focused version of the game, rather than having to wait until both single and multi player features were entirely finished.

So in all I'm having fun with SFV. Yesterday I had a very entertaining match against a solid Laura player, so I decided to investigate how sharing things from a PS4 works. It is very easy! You just double click the 'Share' button to start recording, then single click again to stop. You can then upload it directly to your Youtube (or other) channel. Of course I had to make one of those first, but that was a matter of minutes.

So behold as I eke out a win against a good player somehow:


Fun times.
 

[1] I'd rate Tekken and some anime games above it, but both Tekken 7 and BlazBlue Centralfiction are not available yet, and might not release in 2016 at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment